Home > General > The First Five Days – Part II

The First Five Days – Part II

January 6th, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments

The start of the second day was definitely more of a challenge, as I was awake much longer and back to my normal work routine. The majority of my work revolves around the computer, and seeing as I work from the house, it presents a perfect opportunity to dip that snuff all day long. Even with the patch, the cravings were very strong throughout the day.

So what does, ‘the cravings were very strong all day’ mean exactly? Let me give you the rundown of what my typical work day was like when I used to report to Copenhagen snuff.

8:00 am ~ 8:30 am – Get up, brush my teeth, and head downstairs to get some coffee

8:31 am ~ 10:00 am - Take my first dip of snuff for the day

10:01 am ~ 10:15 am - Eat breakfast

10:16 am ~ 11:30 am – Take my second dip of snuff for the day

11:31 am ~ 12:00 pm – Get a shower and get dressed

12:01 pm ~ 12:15 pm – Eat lunch

12:16 pm ~ 1:30 pm – Take my third dip of snuff for the day

1:31 pm ~ 1:45 pm – Have a snack, not so much because I needed one, but to eat something to make the snuff feel better in my mouth – how freaking messed up is that!

1:46 pm ~ 3:00 pm – Take my fourth dip of snuff for the day

4:00 pm ~ 5:00 pm – Take my fifth dip of snuff for the day – “the pre-workout snuff”

5:00 pm ~ 6:00 pm – hit the gym – keeping the outside looking good while destroying the inside

6:00 pm ~ 6:30 pm – Take my sixth dip of snuff for the day – “the post-workout, in the shower snuff”

6:31 pm ~ 7:00 pm – Eat dinner with my wife

7:01 pm ~ 8:00 pm – Take my seventh dip of snuff for the day while watching tv with my wife – sick I know, but remember I don’t spit (I’m always rationalizing)

8:01 pm ~ 9:30 pm – spending time with my wife – no snuff

9:31 pm ~ 11:00 pm – Take my eighth dip of snuff for the day while I catch up on work

12:00 am ~ Sleep – Take my ninth dip of snuff for the day as I lay in bed and read the news on my iPod Touch

I know that it might seem like a huge waste of blog space to detail my day by the hour, but I really wanted to give you a glimpse into my typical work day and how it involved the use of snuff.

Matt

Tags:
  1. Brandon
    January 9th, 2009 at 02:03 | #1

I just started dipping about two weeks ago and I’m afraid I may already be addicted. Twenty years old and I start this crap. Hopefully this can of Skoal I have will be my last.

2. January 9th, 2009 at 10:57 | #2

Hey Brandon,

First of all, thanks for the comment. Based on my extensive research, the good news for you is that only being two weeks in, you haven’t had enough time to develop the associative habit addiction to snuff or nicotine. As I have written in my blog so far, the associative habit is the hardest part of quitting snuff and nicotine. If you stop now, you can avoid all of the problems that I have in my life because of physical and mental addiction to snuff. It may be hard for the first few days, but you can definitely do it without any type of nicotine replacement patch or gum. Please let me know if I can do anything to help, or if you need any advice or motivation.

Matt

3. Brandon
    January 9th, 2009 at 19:19 | #3

Thanks Matt. I know I shouldn’t but I’m going to finish off this last can of snuff I have. I have about half a can left and I plan to use less and less each day until it’s gone. I’ll keep you updated.

4. January 10th, 2009 at 14:36 | #4

Just thought I would throw some info your way. I could be wrong but most of the research says that since you are so new to nicotine that it will be tough for the first 10 to 14 days. After that you shouldn’t feel the nicotine urge. Worked for me then I just had to tell myself when I was at the bar not to “socially” smoke with friends. Snuff can be different because higher levels of nicotine.

no doctor here but good luck.

5. January 10th, 2009 at 18:19 | #5

Matt,
    We share a similiar story. Throughout my life I have been disciplined in what I eat, working out and running…but have chewed for 29 years. Copenhagen was my best friend…. an appetite suppressant, take it when I was in pain,or lonely…but ultimately I knew it would kills me. I have quit now for 6 days and so far so good…. Good luck!

6. January 11th, 2009 at 21:41 | #6

Joe,

Thanks so much for your initial post man. It’s nice to know you are not alone out there in the struggle. So can you now say its been 7 days? Did you quit cold, or are you using some form of NRT (nicotine replacement therapy.. for those that aren’t familiar with the abbreviation)? Please keep us updated, and if you want to post an entry here, let me know and I’ll get you access.

Matt

7. January 11th, 2009 at 21:41 | #7

Hey Brandon,

How goes it? You still planning on quitting after the can?

Matt

8. Brandon
    January 12th, 2009 at 00:09 | #8

I’m done with the can and didn’t use at all yesterday. I haven’t used at all today though I’m extremely tempted to run up to the store and buy a can. I’ll let you know if I give in or not.

9. Nick
    August 18th, 2010 at 21:54 | #9

I noticed these posts were over a year ago, Matt..please tell me that you quit for good.

1. No trackbacks yet.